Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Kidney Kale Hummus! Packed with nutrients for a healthy lifestyle.

I'm obsessed with making pesto's, hummus and spreads. It all means the same thing to me. I use it with my eggs in the morning, spread it in my wraps, toss it in my pasta and eat it as a quick snack with a rice cracker and sliced veggies.  I love the dark green and red color of this hummus. I came up with the recipe when I went to go make hummus last night. I looked in my kitchen and wait a minute, I had no chickpeas, no lemons and no tahini? How I am suposed to make this! I was pretty determined.. a girls has her cravings you know. So.. I replaced the chickpeas with kidney, tahini with sunflower seeds and lemon with apple cider vinegar (with 'the mother'). Apple cider vinegar is stronger and more acidic than lemons, so you don't have to use as much. If your sensitive to apple cider vingar acidic taste, maybe just use half in this recipe and try it out. Add a bit more until you reach your desired taste. If you want to use lemon instead, use about 4 tablespoons.. at least one large juicy lemon.

1 16oz can organic kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4-1/2 a bunch of cilantro, depending on how much you like it (I like a lot)
4-5 leaves of dinosaur kale, depending on their size
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
1-2 cloves of garlic (optional)
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper

Blanch the kale in boiling water to soften a couple mins, discard water and cool kale before using it. Blend all ingredients in a vitamix (what I use), food processor or blender until super smooth 3-4 mins.
Place in a glass bowl, refrigerate and enjoy.  It's packed with protein, Omega 3 fatty acids, iron, vitamin b6, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

Sometime's I don't add garlic in my spread for a more mild taste. Especially this one has a mild sweetness. I also like putting it on fruit slices!

No comments:

Post a Comment